Linking PAN with Aadhaar ends today; fine upto Rs 1,000 if failed to do so
You will have to pay a penalty of Rs 500 for the first three months and Rs 1,000 after that if you fail to link PAN with Aadhar.
Digital Desk: The deadline for linking a PAN card to an Aadhaar card is March 31, 2022, and failing to meet the deadline may result in a late fee.
The previous closing date for linking a PAN card to Aadhaar was September 30, 2021. However, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the time for linking a Permanent Account Number (PAN) card to an Aadhaar card by three months, until March 31, 2022.
Meanwhile, if you doubt that your PAN has already been linked to your Aadhaar, you can check the status using this direct link.
PAN cardholders should also be aware that if their PAN card is not linked to their Aadhaar card by March 31, it will become inactive. You will have to pay a penalty of Rs 500 for the first three months and Rs 1,000 after that. The amount to be determined by the government will not exceed Rs 1,000.
In the wake of Covid-19, the government has made access to several important documents available from the comfort of people’s homes. If you have not yet linked your Aadhaar card to your PAN, you can do so by following these steps:
- Taxpayers must first register on the Income Tax e-Filing portal to link their PAN and Aadhaar cards.
- Log in to the Income Tax Department’s e-filing portal using your log-in ID, password, and date of birth.
- After entering your information, you will be required to enter a code.
- After logging in, a pop-up window will appear, alerting you to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card.
- If not, go to Profile Settings and select the “Link Aadhaar” button.
- Fill in the blanks with your name, date of birth, and gender. You will have already mentioned it when registering on the e-Filing portal.
- Evaluate the information on the screen to the information on your Aadhaar card.
- If the information is correct, enter your Aadhaar card number and click the “link now” button.
- You will receive confirmation that your Aadhaar card and PAN card have been successfully linked.
Also Read: UIDAI tweets steps to avoid Aadhaar fraud